Wheeler Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on March 17, 2003 at 08:00:02:

Went 3-16-03, and ended up with 13. Had four right at the 3/4 lbs mark. The rest were 9.75-10.75 inchers. Most of my fish came at day break and after that it basically was over for me. I stayed all day hoping that the late evening bite would pick up but it never came. I fished from the bank on this trip so I dont know what was going on in the creeks and flats. During the day, the west side of the causeway on hwy 31 was full of boats. I took a break for about an hour or so and got the bino's out and watched. You would think with all those boats out there, that the crappie were being slayed. I did not see any crappie being caught. What I did see was some stripe and small fish that looked like bream. I know some of you might be killing them in Decatur but I am having a hard time. When I got home I cleaned the fish and it was about half and half for females and males. The females had plenty of eggs but still very small and bright yellow. The blood vessels around the egg sack were not even big yet. Normally when crappie are about to spawn, the eggs will turn almost opake and will be alot bigger. Anyway, good luck to everyone and maybe they will pick up to the extent that someone will bring home a limit.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]