Re: Crappie spawning display

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by rainmaker on March 12, 2003 at 19:35:52:

In Reply to: Re: Crappie spawning display posted by Crappie King on March 12, 2003 at 05:20:19:

i've fished for crappie for a couple of weeks now and found the same dismal luck you all have.

I live in Guntersville and fish here only...so here's what update i can give you.

Sunday I fished under Spring Creek bridge with minnows...and immediately caught a slab (2 lbs). I mean a fat one. Ended up letting him go later in the day because i had caught no other fish except for very small crappie.

I live beside the beech creek bridge and fish under nearly every morning and some in the afternoons.

Monday around 330 pm i caught 15 crappie using various jigs but only 1 keeper. weird time of day for me to catch em.

Went under the beech creek bridge again at 6am this morning. caught one very very tiny crappie. The gentleman in the boat tied in the middle of the bridge was using minnows and didn't catch a thing.

Later today I went to a friends boat house at Point of Pines...just down the street from the beech creek bridge. We simply dropped the jig in the water and let it swing back toward us...and we'd hold it. on the hold we pulled in 1 huge female.

The female was about to bust with eggs. She was full...i mean full full. So we put her back in.

I'm hoping this female is telling us that they're close to spawn. At least I'm hoping so. because every crappie i've caught this year besides 3...have been small.

are they just late this year?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]