Crappie spawning display

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 11, 2003 at 21:28:54:

Has anyone been catching any crappie which are showing the spawning display?

If you don't know what this is, it is when the gill plates and fins on the males of either white or black crappie turn VERY black. Charcoal black.

This is a sign that the males are making or have made beds and are waiting for the females to come in for the spawn. This is also why there is some confusion over the myth that all "black" crappie are males and all "white" crappie are females. Although the females do put on some extra color during the spawn, to my knowledge they don't turn charcoal black around the gill plates and fins like the males do.

I am asking because I have had such poor luck all this season (since fall) for crappie. I haven't taken a temp reading on Wheeler, but I would guess that the average surface temp is in the mid to high 50's and with the sun finally coming out and air temps heading up into the 70's for the next few days the surface temps in the shallows should warm up quickly. Maybe enough for some crappie to start bedding. (Theory No. 1352-54-cr.sp-3-11-2003) (grin)

Thanks,

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: