Re: Gulf Shores / Destin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Snapperking on March 10, 2003 at 14:17:22:

In Reply to: Gulf Shores / Destin posted by tennangler on March 10, 2003 at 10:55:47:

Hello, I dont go by the Snapperking just to be pretty!! Ok first of all cant go wrong in either place,Orange Beach or Destin!! In orange Beach Ed is right San roc cay has a great bunch of charters .I personally use Capt Jack Wilhite of the Summer Hunter,his rates have gone up to 100 an hour chartered as have all of the boats due to the big oil companies rapeing us all at the pump.His Number is 251-948-FISH Deep sea fishing isnt a cheap sport for sure But the power and speed of the fish and experience of being out on the gulf is awsome and if i gotta waste my money let it be on a charter HA!! Ok now for the destin side of the question, the largerst charter fleet in all of florida resides in destin!! so there are tons of opportunity to go or fish for what ever you desire.I usually go with Captain Greg Marler of the Gentle windes ,but he fishes out of a fleet of boats owned by his dad Olin Marler ,if greg isnt avaliable then either Bruce marler or Frank teems will get the job done!! If you have enough to make a private charter it will be cheaper they carry as few as 6 people and up to 12 on their 65 ft boats that even have sleeping accomodations on them.But if you dont have that many they have walk on trips with the same captains that start at 150 for 8 hrs 170 for 10 and 200 for 12 our trip to see more can reach their web page at {www.destinparadise.com} and click on fishing fleets! Now for the fishing you can expect in destin first, The Red snapper season is closed till april 21 in federal waters and in florida waters till april 14 which is nine miles out.and trust me they never have to leave sight of land to get a limit of snapper ,my best catches are in 45 ft of water looking at pensacola beach!! in destin Expect to catch a limit of snapper which is 4 per person and they must be 16 inches,you get to include the mates and captians catch too.Also after you catch the snapper the Grouper are biting nice right now and you can expect to hang and hopefully catch them along with lots of amberjacks and trigger fish. Now over in Orange beach it will be Snapper first and then mostly triggers .There have been more Grouper recently but they are a lot less of them in alabama waters and usually are smaller, because of the lack of limestone shelves and coral unless you run 60 miles out to find the limestone rock and coral, where as in destin in 1hr:30min you can be settig on all kinds of rock bottom.The grade or Quality of snapper tends to be lots bigger in orange Beach.Last sept our group with wilhite set our own sice at 19 inches and we were still had our limit in a hurry !! anyway this is long winded if any question just ask !! AND good luck hope you go and get a loaded pole!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]