DATE: 2-23-03
LAKE LEVEL: 563.8
LAKE LEVEL ON 2-21 : 560.6
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 50.0 on top, 50.1 2 foot down
WATER CLARITY: iffy, most of the lake is non-fishable

FIRST OF ALL WE HAVE HAD A MAJOR RAIN.
THE LAKE IS RISING SEVERAL INCHES PER DAY
WE FOUND SOME FISHABLE WATER TODAY BUT NOT A LOT. I AM UNDER THE OPINION THAT IT IS GOING TO GET WORSE
BEFORE IT GETS BETTER.

CRAPPIE: First of all I am just one man. I cannot cover the entire lake in one day. This is what I have seen in the last 2 days.
Saturday: I fished Dead Boy for 1 keeper.Wind 35-40 mph. Lake jumped up 2 feet overnight. Could not keep the baits in the water.
Pine straw,leaves,sticks and twigs everywhere. Moved to Trotter's and killed them. 2 short fish! Basically the same conditions. Left
Trotter's and went to Godfrey's Island. Thought for a while I was going to have to get out and push to get over the hump. The right
finger is fishable, wind terrible. I trolled form the country store about half way down the whole arm. Trolled 1 1/32 which at 1.4 in my
boat is fishing about 3 feet deep. As the water deepened I fished 1 1/16th. Went to 10 feet of water and had 1 1/32nd on, 1 1/16th,
1/16th & 1/32. Never marked a fish, never got a bite. But, Butch put it on me hard, he had 1 non-keeper and he rubbed it in.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Harry fished Bay Springs, Churchouse and Sailboat. Quit fishing at 11:00 and he put on me and Butch
bad, he had 2 keepers.
We have had not one but two cold fronts come thru. We have had a lot of rain. The lake has jumped up almost 5 feet in 2 days. A nail
is pretty hard but crappie fishing is harder than that! It is going to take a little bit of stable weather and they are going to turn on.
Mother nature waits for no man.

BASS: With the high winds and muddy water and the cold fronts, bring a good book or a deck of cards.

STRIPE: My neighbor Jean, retired military, fishes everyday for about 2 hours, rain or shine. He located some stripe in the mouth of
Churchouse about 100 yds out from the gazebo on the point. He caught several trolling a 1/16th oz. with a crappie set-up. Blue
seemed to be the color. He also caught several short crappie along with some white bass trolling 1.9. This was on Friday. He had his
lines out approx. 50 feet using Mrs. Cheryl's crappie jigs.

BREAM: High winds and muddy water, forget about it.

WHITE BASS: Fished in Dead Boy Saturday, lot of birds, but with the wind and stained water it didn't happen.I am sure they are there
but wind and leaves and whatever in the water I couldn't keep my jigs in the water long enough to tell.

CATFISH: Commercial fishermen walking around with a smile on their face so they are catching them. There was an elderly
gentleman fishing under the bridge at Cowan and he said he was catching them. I don't think he lied to me, I believe he told me the
truth. I saw him earlier throwing a shad net so I knew what he was fishing with.

I am fishing Monday the 24th. I am fishing out of Bay Springs. I do not have a clue what I am going to find. But, if things change I will
update the report.In fact I will update anyway and tell you what I found and saw. As always if I can help anyone with anything just give
a shout.Thanks, Steve 256-927-6617 www.weisslakeguideservice.com

PS: We are going to start doing a fishing report on Neely Henry.

Neely Henry: It is quicker to mud up than Weiss.Plus it gets all our muddy water. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell that it's
tough.One of the 3 of us will go down late this week and see what's going on. Now if you will excuse me I am going to go throw up
and take a valium. Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]