Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 2-19-2003

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on February 19, 2003 at 04:45:40:

DATE: 2-19-03
LAKE LEVEL: 560.6
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 53.4 on top, 2 foot down 47.3
WATER CLARITY: Good

CRAPPIE: Would appear that everybody is catching fish no matter what method you are using. The larger fish are on the old river
channel edge but with them generating that is not going to work. Minnow fishermen are doing good fishing any structure that they can
find either on the graft or visually.Trollers are doing OK. Catching a lot of fish to be able to keep one. I started fishing about 8:30 this
morning and trolled Churchouse, Big Nose and Little Nose. The fish were suspended 6-8 feet in the am and 2-3 foot deep in the pm in
8 ft. of water. Trolled a 1/16th in the am on a 1.4. Trolled a 1/32nd in the pm on 1.5.Blue and green were the colors. We kept 22. If
you are not seeing fish on your depthfinder then it is one of three things. They are either not there, or they are right on the bottom or
right on the top. There are still good catches coming out of the Chatooga and Spring Creek. As the water comes up they will move in
everywhere.

BASS: Bass fishing is slow but it can be done. Rip rap adjacent to deep water or rocky bluffs or points. Using a crawdad colored
Pig-n-Jig. Seems to be more productive when they are generating.

STRIPE: I do not have a clue what they are doing. We can't find them except below Weiss Dam and Neely Henry Dam.

BREAM: They are still catching bream on Guntersville along the rip rap and under the bridges in deep water. If you don't take bait
with you, you probably won't find any.

WHITE BASS: Still active in the back end of Dead Boy and there are a few in Trotters.

CATFISH: Commercial fishermen are killing them. I do not see anybody else fishing for them.

Water is still about 4 foot low. You need to be very careful! 1/2 off prop sales are not good.

Again for my out of state fishermen you can now get your license by phone 1-888-848-6887.

Please lets keep up the support for the Weiss Lake Improvement Association. They need our help. There is a link on our site right to
their's.

Lets all have a very safe and happy spring! Thanks, Steve www.weisslakeguideservice.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]