Decatur/Wheeler lake levels - flood conditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on February 17, 2003 at 21:32:36:

Don't let the posted levels at lakeinfo.tva.gov for Wheeler lake fool you. The levels around the Decatur area are already a little above "normal summer pool" and still rising. This is not unusual with the amount of rain we have had. Although North Alabama didn't actually have that much rain in total, many areas in southern Tennessee have been deluged! All of this water is making its way to the Tennessee river. Although I haven't been to the Elk river lately, I can assure you that it is HIGH, MUDDY and rolling fast with lots of dangerous debris.

I am hoping that Wheeler lake will crest within the next 24 to 48 hours. TVA is spilling through floodgates at Wheeler and I am sure all of the other dams in North Alabama, but you can only push as much water downstream as the next lake can handle. In any case, if you decide to take your boat out on Wheeler or any other lake on the Tennessee river in North Alabama for the next few days, please be careful! It can be very dangerous! Lots of floating and submerged debris that can cause damage to your boat and motor or possibly throw you from your boat.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]