Re: Pickwick Lake bass fishing.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Kelley on February 17, 2003 at 15:26:37:

In Reply to: Pickwick Lake bass fishing..... posted by Saugerman on February 17, 2003 at 13:24:18:

I bet you could flip the flags on the greens of the golf course at McFarland Park. It probably won't be over 4 feet deep across the entire golf course...
Seriously, I don't think I would drive very far to fish there this weekend. They're calling for more rain later in the week, so we're not at flood crest yet. I would say that fishing would be impossible, based on 30 years of fishing down there in the Spring flood seasons.
BUT, if you have to fish... go to the backend of the feeder creeks until you find clearer (relatively speaking) water. Someone will catch a fish or two that way probably. The mouths of these creeks may be clearing and the fish will relate to 2 things there - the bank and a place out the current. The up current banks of the creek mouths will have some eddy (slack) water. Fish right on the waterline with a SLOW moving jig or spinnerbait. I have caught some smallies like that in the mouth of McFarland when the water was up in the parking lot (and muddy as a puddle in a plowed Lawrence County cotton patch). Of course, that was years ago and I remember it to be much warmer than water temps right now.
Bottom line - I'd stay home with my family and maybe go to a movie or wherever the family wants to go.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]