Re: Fish Finders

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on February 09, 2003 at 22:33:13:

In Reply to: Fish Finders posted by LearnerLearning on February 09, 2003 at 21:57:46:

Although I haven't used or been in a boat with a Lowrance X65, I can tell you a few things to keep in mind. I hope some of them are helpful! (smile)

First, pay close attention to your electronics, no matter what you have! Even poor electronics are usually better than none, if you pay enough attention to them to understand what you are seeing. Your Lowrance unit is a quality sonar, as far as my experience can tell. Yes, I guess I sound like a Lowrance/Eagle advertisement, but I am speaking from experience and don't have any connection with Lowrance/Eagle other than from products I have purchased.

Time on the water while paying close attention to your electronics is the ONLY key to understanding and using a depthfinder/fishfinder efficiently and productively, at least in my experience.

One thing to keep in mind, whether you run your unit in "auto" mode (nice fish shaped symbols of various sizes) or "manual" (looking for those elusive fish "arches") is to actually USE the data the electronics are providing. I can't tell you how many times I have been in a boat and the operator of that boat simply ignored what his/her electronics were telling them. On another note, in dingy or muddy water you should, yes, SHOULD turn the sensitivity DOWN! Otherwise you will probably and most likely see a screen FULL of fish even as you don't get a single hit! Steve Pope on Weiss lake will most likely attest to this fact since Weiss is usually a relatively muddy lake.

This apparently seems to be because of the higher density of the water due to particulates and possibly leaves, etc. that are present under such conditions. Turning the sensitivity down helps, but does not completely exclude false readings.

There is NO substitute for time on the water and the BEST electronics won't catch more fish than the person who understands why the fish act the way they do. Study the fish and the electronics will become a great tool!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]