Bank fishing below Wilson - SLOW!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on February 09, 2003 at 18:22:09:

Stephen and I visited my folks in Florence this weekend and, of course, I had to wet a line.

Well, that's about all I did, wet a line that is. Saturday afternoon I tried the mouth of Cypress creek, McFarland harbor, under O'Neal bridge, the mouth of the barge harbor and the back of the barge harbor with nearly zero luck. I was told that the current was strong earlier in the day, but by the time I got out (about 2pm or so) there was no current and no fish. I did manage to catch about 3 VERY small bass and a couple of very small yellow stripe in McFarland harbor, but nothing to brag about.

Sunday, I got out just after daylight and tried the same places listed above and also drove over to the rock pile. Nothing, not even a hit or bump. Current was present, but I could not find anything from the bank. I did see one fellow with his son or grandson in a boat below the dam. They tied off in front of one of the "holes" in the dam near the south end in front of the turbines. I saw the older man catch something, but I am not sure what it was. Most likely stripe since he was using a cork and I heard him talking about catching catfish the day before. In any case, I didn't stay long enough to see if they caught anything else. I also stopped above the dam and looked for about 30 seconds, but I didn't even try fishing.

Boat traffic was very slow while I was out and I was nearly the only one trying from the bank on Sunday (today). Lots of slow moving shad minnows (3-4 inchers) were in several places and a few were dead or dying on the surface. This is probably the cause of the slow bank fishing. The fish are well sated with slow moving shad and simply don't have to work for a meal. Can't say that I blame them! (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]