That was us...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike S. on February 06, 2003 at 12:59:40:

In Reply to: Re: Report from Feb.1 trip to G'ville Dam posted by Duckloads on February 06, 2003 at 08:31:58:

I think we may have gone overboard with the jig size, plus we had a hard time just sitting still since things were so slow. We kept throwing down 1-2 ounce jigs with minnows to try to keep the action vertical, plus we were using some of the biggest tuffies I have seen in a while. We even used a cast net to get some shad in hopes that we would have what it took to take home the sauger. I think if we had been a little more patient and worked that entire drop off we might have done some good on the smaller stripes that we saw swim under us while we were stationary. We kept seeing fish sitting still right on the bottom, usually a handful at a time, and pretty hefty sized from the display--so we got fixated on trying to coax one of them up. After we tightened the zoom on the fishfinder we even dropped the anchor and coasted back over them to work without the engine running--but they had lockjaw. We had two finders, and one of them was the Bottomline Tournament Champion HR with the side scanning transducers. That thing is a chore to set up exactly the way you want, but it does a really good job. I think we may go back to an aluminum river jon and chicken livers if we don't start doing a little better. Hopefully our next trip to Destin will get our confidence back up!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]