OK here's a report..........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Duckloads on January 27, 2003 at 20:35:57:

True story, by the way. We launched below the big G Sat around 11:00 am. Kind of cool out and with good current of about 50K cfs generation rate. Pleasant light winds. I'm not so sure I have ever seen so many gulls around the tailrace in my life. Real nice to watch.

Anyway we went after sauger with no luck. In one deep hole near Paint Rock River, we got into stripe and catfish around 45 ft deep. Strange place to be finding stripe I thought. On the bottom at 45 ft deep seemed kind of strange, but we were having fun anyway. Not a single Jack. Not even a Jack bite that I can confirm.

As time went on, I noticed all the stripe we brought up out of the depths were spitting up shad all over my boat. Oh crap. I think I knew what was goung on. All the gulls, the stripe on the bottom, and the shad brought back memories of two years ago (I think).

My guess is that the cold weather we have had brought on a major shad kill. Can anyone else confirm this? If this is the case, fishing for a couple of weeks could be bad. Their will be food everywhere for the taking. No reason for a fish to chase down a bait. After all the dead shad are gone, I think things will pick up. The bait will be gone, and the fish will get real hungary again. Good times in a couple of weeks?

Be safe,
Chris Hollis

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]