Re: I just gotta tell it

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Big Kat on January 23, 2003 at 09:38:18:

In Reply to: Re: I just gotta tell it posted by donnyc on January 22, 2003 at 18:36:57:

Brown's Ferry is the nuclear plant located on the TN River between Athens and Rogersville. As for the better of the two baits - I think they both are good when matched to the size of the baitfish that the stripers are chasing. I don't think either is better. I feel that the depth and speed are the most important factors when fishing for stripers in cold weather. Of course, when they are surfacing it usually doesn't matter what you throw as long as it looks like a BIG shad and moves FAST.
Many people use live shad at the nuclear plant and do well. I am just too lazy to cast a net and chase down schools of shad this time of year! Anytime you can use a live bait, it will be better. But, the jigging spoon catches fish consistently in cold water. And it's a simple approach - not much work.
Get out down your way and try a jiggin' spoon. Leave everything else at home and commit yourself to jiggin' a spoon all day. Be persistent. Have confidence that the fish will hit that spoon if they are present.Study your electronics and don't fish until you see BALLS of shad on the screen. If they are layered (flat on screen) there are usually NO fish "assaulting" them! I can assure you, when the shad schools are balled up (round) the fish are there!!
I guess what I'm saying is that it is hard work to find the right place to jig a spoon, but the jiggin' is easy! you may look around for 20-30 minutes until you find the correct conditions to fish. Fish at least 20 ft deep or deeper water. Most of the time it is the bottom that holds the fish, especially in heavy river currents.
Good luck and good jiggin'!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]