I just gotta tell it

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Big Kat on January 22, 2003 at 12:03:24:

Ok guys and gals, I can't keep the secret from you anymore. For the last 2 weeks I have been slaughtering the catfish and stripers at Browns Ferry! I caught a 64lb blue cat 2 weeks ago. I have been there 5 times since and we are catching good cats and now, STRIPERS!
Yesterday I went in the downpours. It was windy and almost unbearably cold/wet. Within 10 minutes of starting, I hooked a rockfish that would have pushed 30lbs, but after 10 minutes of fighting, he straightened my hook (with a little help from me-PULLING!) A few casts later I caught a 22-25lb rockfish. All told, I boated 3 that were in the 25lb range, lost that first big one and then another at 5pm that was as big as first one that got away! (I was trying to rush him, since it was so late, and he pulled loose at the boat). Also caught some small 2-4 lb stripe intermittently during the afternoon.
I believe the full moon is responsible for this size class of fish being there. I have read that the big striper have a "spawn" impulse on the Jan/Feb full moons. Of course, the weather conditions/low light also were a factor, as was the river current. Whatever the cause, get down there and catch one soon. They can shornuff stretch yor' strang! Be careful though. Don't fall overboard this time of year.
OH YEAH, caught them all on a "homemade" jigging spoon (like a hopkin's shorty), 1 oz/silver. I use 20# line so it will fall slower. It seems to work better and get more strikes. Drop it to bottom in 34-40' water and "pop" it off the bottom and let it fall back (with line slack) while watching your line. They are ripping that spoon!
No pictures yesterday, but I have picture of catfish if you'd like to see it. I have caught them like this for the last 10 years at the nuclear plant during the winter. I hope most don't believe this report so there won't be such a crowd at the N.P. this weekend. I was only person crazy enough to go out there yesterday...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]