Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 1-16-2003

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on January 16, 2003 at 15:13:24:

DATE: 1-16-03
LAKE LEVEL: 558.2
NORMAL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: low 40's high 30's
WATER CLARITY: Good shape

CRAPPIE: MY partners Butch & Harry tight lined brush piles with minnows & jigs.They caught about 50 and most were 9 1/2 - 9
7/8.They kept 10. All of them a pound plus.One went 2.3.They only fished about an hour and a half.The old creek channel edge in
Little River should be pretty good. Same thing goes for Yellow Creek. There are some good humps and brush piles in the mouth of
Big Nose and Little Nose.I hate to say it but minnows are your best bet. 12-15 feet deep.

BASS: They had a small pot tournament out of JR'S and most everybody was catching 10-20 fish. I believe the winner had 20.5 lbs. of
fish. Crankbaits and pig-n-jig in 5-8 feet of water was the key.May slow them down a bit with this cold weather but it may not.

STRIPE: The stripe are plentiful but they are shallow no matter what the water depth. Several being taken by crappie fishermen while
trolling. !/16th oz. jig fished shallow should produce some stripe. If you catch them under the birds, 1/4 oz. Little Fishy does well using
a pumping action. Best color is black & White. Also catching them on shallow diving shad raps. I am not too hot on sticking my hand in
a fishes mouth with treble hooks and him flopping all over the place.

BREAM: Good stringers of bream still coming out of Guntersville.Best place to find them will be under almost any bridge with deep
water. 35 -50 feet deep.Yeh, I know but that is right, 35-50 foot deep right on the bottom.Pulling water or not does not seem to make a
difference. Use a bottom bumper with double hooks about a foot apart. Best bait is wax worms. Worms and crickets will work.

CATFISH: Big stringers of catfish coming out of Riverside on the old river channel.

We need to support Weiss Lake Improvement Association. They put out channel markers all over the lake. They put out tons of brush
and all of it marked. They have stocked crappie this year. Some 100,000 of them. They are working hard over the water wars.Shad
Ellis even went to Washington to present our case. If we loose this battle we are going to loose the lake. Whether you fish or not if it
wasn't for this lake Centre, AL would be in trouble. What happens to Weiss will happen all the way to the estuary and every lake on the
Coosa chain of lakes. As low oxygen levels in the water, with pollutants coming in from Georgia and the natural pollutants we add to
Weiss from runoff from roads, gutters and parking lots.Fertilizer from the fields.This problem will multiply ten fold with very little
discharge and it will double as it goes down every lake in the chain of lakes.Now for the non fishermen.The Coosa chain of lakes
produces 68% of the electricity in Alabama. Alabama Power will only be able to generate 1/3 of what it is doing now. What do you
think this is going to do to our electric bills?
Fish report brought to you by Weiss Lake Guide Service. Steve, Butch and Harry. Be careful with the low water and if you need help
just "holler" Thanks, Steve www.weisslakeguideservice.com 256-927-6617

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]