Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 01-08-2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on January 08, 2003 at 21:25:42:

DATE: 1-08-03
LAKE LEVEL: 559.2
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: high 30's to low 40's
WATER CLARITY: stained downriver, borderline mud upriver

CRAPPIE:Very slow.They still haven't huddled up in good schools yet.They are still scattered.A few being picked up trolling.Suspended a couple of feet off the
bottom in 12-18 feet of water.By far the best place to fish would be the old river channel edge.However, with Alabama Power pulling water like they are doing that
is not going to work.If you can find a long point that drops off into deep water, there have been some pretty good fish taken bottom bumping with minnows.They are
starting to stack up pretty good in the brush piles.The people that are trolling are using triple blue with the best success.

BASS: Forget about it.Bring a good book.Better yet take your babies and see a good movie.

STRIPE: The birds are working pretty good just about everywhere on the lake.There are a lot of baits that will work.I like the Little Fishy (made by creme worms,
their logo is on the link section with their number) when I am throwing at them while they are in the jumps.If I can't find the birds working I like to troll for them with
one of Mrs. Cheryl's 1/16th oz. triple blue jigs.Just like I would for crappie.I use 6 lb. test line and an ultra-light rod.You would be amazed how big a fish you can
land with that. Back the drag all the way off because he will break the line everytime.Try it you may like it.
Spring and Cowan creek out towards the old road bed is a good place to look for them. Rooster's is a good launch ramp even with the low water.Another good place
is the mouth of Big Nose & Little Nose.Have had some success in the mouth of Yellow Creek.There is a sand bar about 1/2 way into the creek that drops off into
deep water, its a pretty good place to go.Out in front of Sailboat is a good place to look.Mouth of Churchouse is a good place.The whole flat out in front of Bay
Springs and Churchouse.You can launch at Bay Springs, they still have enough water there.Powerhouse, there is a new ramp in Leesburg that is a good ramp.Don't
be surprised if you find them in 3-4 foot of water either.

BREAM: Still catching them on Guntersville.

CATFISH: I think a catfish will bite anytime.They seem to be hungry all the time.Any kind of bait will work well but cut shad is the best.

If you noticed the lake level then you know how low we are. If you are not careful out there we will be have another 1/2 off prop sale.
By the way, this is an excellent time to get in your boat and go out looking to see the structure that is visible now that is not when the water comes up.Hope
everyone had a nice Holiday!Look for you in Cincinnati.I will be there the first 5 days of the show. Come on by and say "hello".
Thanks, Steve 256-927-6617 www.weisslakeguideservice.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]