Re: Christmas trees

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on January 06, 2003 at 06:59:29:

In Reply to: Christmas trees posted by Geno on January 05, 2003 at 07:12:35:

Geno, it depends. In past years when I have sank Christmas trees I have had mixed results. I have tried several different methods over the years and this is what I have learned. Chrismas trees are great if you take the time to prepare them. For some reason crappie do not like Christmas trees with the needles still on them. With the research I have done, trees that still have needles on them give off a strong oily scent. In the past I have collected my trees and left them in my garden until they have dried out completely. Then I burn them until the branches turn black and hard. Keep a hose handy when doing this because you can go too far and the branches will becaome very britle. The burning basically hardens the branches and they will last twice as long. Another thing you will want to do is prune some the branches so the crappie can get inside without being to confined. They like a good escape route. Over the years I have gone away from Christmas trees and use fruit tree limbs and hard wood. Alot easier to work with! To answer your question. I have placed Christmas trees that I have prepared and caught fish off of them as early as a week later. It takes some time for the fish to find them and check them out.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]