Re: artificial crappie structures (snag-proof)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie Garrett on January 03, 2003 at 11:24:20:

In Reply to: artificial crappie structures posted by huskieboy on January 02, 2003 at 13:40:49:

I have made some crappie/bass structure that is almost snag proof with little or no cost. The best material I have found is PVC pipe.

When somebody throws out a piece of PVC patio Furniture, grab it. Also check around construction sites for discarded pieces. Of course you can always run to Lowes and get some. I've also used the black 4" drainage pipe and even 1/2" dia. galvanized pipe for the X (see below).

My favorite shape is similar to a saw-horse. Take the larger diameter piece and drill two holes in each end 90 degrees apart. Be sure to offset them so the smaller pipes can criss-cross. Then slide the smaller pieces into the holes to make an X on each end. Then no mater how it lands on the bottom, it will stand up. Add some small screws or string to hold the X in place on the large tube. Place a little concrete in the large tube for weight. Try not to completely fill the large tube as bait will use it as a hideout.

You can vary the lenght of the X pieces to make it farther or closer to the bottom. I recommend this method in calmer water. It will probably be swept away in the main river's current during floods.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]