Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 12-28-2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on December 28, 2002 at 08:00:20:

DATE: 12-28-02
LAKE LEVEL: 561.4
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: high 30's to low 40's
WATER CLARITY: terrible

Yellow Creek is fishable some of the coves in the Bay Springs area have started to clear but there is more mud coming.If you are
thinking about fishing upriver, there is no way to go thru James Branch.You can get into Trotter's Cove but the water is pretty
dingy.Dead Boy is going to be a little tough to get into.Tucker, No Way. Waterhouse,No Way, Godfrey's Island is clear but you cannot
get in there from the river.Don't try it! As far as I know there is no public launch in Godfrey's. Haw'g Den will be little skinny for a big
boat. The launch ramp on Hwy. 9 will work however, they have had some trouble there with people breaking into cars and trucks.If you
are driving a Z 71 4x4 it is probably not going to be there when you get back. Rooster's on Cowan Creek, you can launch there.I looked
at the water there today and it is not that bad. I can't sware to it but the birds were working pretty strong on both sides of the bridge
which tells me there are stripe there. If you try to leave Cowan Creek by water, Forget About IT! Maybe you can go under the old
bridge right there at the Queen but, if you run out of the channel anywhere up there you have had a bad day.JR's at Little River is
fishable.It is a little bit tough launching your boat but it can be done.Yellow Creek Grocery Launch Ramp is skinny but it can be
done.If you launch there stay close to the ramp as you leave because there is a roadbed straight out from the ramp.Big Nose and Little
Nose are dingy but fishable. Coming in from the channel come pretty close to Goat Island because there is a sandbar with stumps on it
on your left.Crazy Woman is fishable.Ransom Cove is fishable.Anderson Cove is not in that good of shape.Churchouse is pretty
dingy.Slackland is terrible.Powerhouse is holding clear water on the right side as you come in.Bay Springs Cove is fishable.

CRAPPIE: Pretty slow. Everywhere we were catching crappie is now muddy.And the bad news is there is more coming in from up river.
The good fish are holding on structures 15-20 feet.Now is when you need a really good depth finder. Without one you are flapping.
You may be flapping anyway because of the color of the water.At this depth live bait is the best.

BASS: With the colder water and the mud, bring a good book.

WHITE BASS: If you can find some clear water or moterably stained water you can troll them up like crappie. They are not going to be
very deep.

STRIPE: I don't think the muddy water is going to effect the stripe like it does with other species.From my back porch I have seen birds
working about every day.You can put in at Bay Springs and come out to your left and you should see them. Same thing goes for
Powerhouse.The lower end of the lake has better water and you won't hurt yourself if you use a little common sense.

BREAM: Forget about it. MUDDY.

CATFISH: What catfish fishermen that are out there are catching pretty good stringers.

I am happy to announce that Weiss Lake Improvement Association has started stocking the lake on a large scale.All of them black
crappie.They have also put up all the channels markers that you see.They put out tons and tons of brush and marked them all. This is
an all voluntary operation with no financial assistance and totally non- profit.They have also been able to get additional help from the
state in cracking down on the polluters.Plus doing water sample tests to be sure that the lake is in good shape.
Their membership is only $10.00, this entitles you and your spouse and children under 16 to participate in the Spring Crappie
Rodeo.There are cash and prizes to be won.Now here comes the punch line. The $10.00 is a tax deductible donation even if you do
not go crappie fishing. I would like to ask you to join this association.For them to keep up their good work it takes money.If you would
just send a $10.00 check made out to Weiss Lake Improvement Association along with a self addressed envelope to Steve Pope 956
Co. Rd 112 Centre, AL 35960. We will get your membership right back to you.
Hope everyone is having a Happy Holiday.Be careful on the water. Lots of luck on your fishing! Steve
www.weisslakeguideservice.com 256-927-6617

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]