sauger saturday

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by slabby on December 23, 2002 at 21:56:26:

Tried my luck sauger fishing on sat. as the crappie have discouraged me to date. G'ville dam looked like Niagara Falls as I counted 10 gates open. I used 3/4oz jigs with chartreuse curly tails and 3-4in toughie minnows. I caught 1 small largemouth and lost about 4 pounds of lead- maybe the fish will get lead poisoning and float my way ha ha . Fished the lock side and slow crawled and hopped the jig back to shore as I have no boat. Is this the best method?
I will try again as I am determined to catch one of these fish and that beautiful sunny day made it all worthwhile. Read about the commerants and have seen them first hand in the islands - smelly noisy birds.
I am from up north and there is a similar problem on the great lakes. They are studying this and I know that some places have began to oil the eggs in the nests so that the chicks suffocate before they hatch. Have not heard if this has significantly reduced the numbers. When it comes down to it I'd rather lose a bass or a crappie to an eagle than one of those gluttonous beasts any day!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]