Re: Rat fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on December 22, 2002 at 19:41:48:

In Reply to: Re: Rat fishing posted by Ranger Don on December 22, 2002 at 13:57:36:

Finding emerging weeds on Guntersville Lake is not a problem that time of year. I have never fished upstream of Comer Bridge in Scottsboro, but I hear there is good fishing up there too. I live 11 miles west of Guntersville, so I usually fish the two huge weed beds just north of where Hwy 69 croses Brown's Creek, because it is only a few minutes from home. You can't miss them and they generally have good population of "retreads" from all of the tourneys that weigh-in at the boat ramp. Across the river channel, around all the islands near Allred Marina, you'll find tons of weedbeds. From Goosepond, near Scottsboro, all the way back downstream to Guntersville you'll find plenty of weeds all along the channel(s). There is a big cove north of the Guntersville airport that also has plenty of weeds and good fish. Buy a good map when you arrive here and study it. Anywhere you see water 12 feet deep or less you will find emerging weeds that time of year.

Leave all of your light tackle at home and spool up with the stoutest line you can get. I use Stren Extra Strengh 20, which is supposed to have 39 lb break strength. I had both hooks and split rings ripped off of two different Pop'n Image baits with saltwater hooks last spring. This kind of fishing is not for the faint of heart.

Remember to catch 'em, weigh 'em, snap a quick pic, and let 'em swim to be caught again. They are too much fun to catch just once. Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]