Re: cormorants

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on December 20, 2002 at 23:55:14:

In Reply to: cormorants posted by Alex on December 20, 2002 at 10:18:43:

The problem is being noticed, but we do need to be writing to our legislators and conservation officials. I spent two days with Robert Montgomery, (BASS outdoor conservation writer) back in November. He was very interested in the problem here on Guntersville and I am sure he will be following up on the issue. Cormorants became protected by federal law after their numbers fell off due in part to DDT poisoning. Since chemicals which once killed birds like eagles, cormorants, etc have been restricted, these birds have proliferated at an astonishing rate. One morning I counted over 2,000 flying in waves over Guntersville. They have already destroyed numerous trees, completely on a couple of islands and the destrustion is increasing rapidly. The one blessing in that is that the cormorants are beginning to move to the points and main land outlook areas. This includes wiping out trees on some of those high dollar lots being sold on the lake. Once the rich start seeing those pretty trees in the yard covered in bird crap, the ball will probably start rolling to control the population. At least that's my hope. Cormorants used to migrate, but since the building of the big river systems here in the south, and the ample food supply the birds are now resident. This problem is not creeping up on us, it is coming very fast as the birds have no enemies and the population is increasing at an astounding rate. Hopefully, some sort of control will be allowed by the government soon. What is ironic about this is, we spend all these tax dollars to protect such animals, then have to turn around and spend a lot more wiping them out once they get out of control. Uncle Sam's idea of job security I guess...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]