Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 12-14-2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on December 14, 2002 at 06:09:59:

DATE: 12-14-02
LAKE LEVEL: 559.3
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: Mid 40's
WATER CLARITY: Overall fishable but some coves are muddy.

CRAPPIE: Crappie fishing reasonably productive.Most fish being taken in 16 to 20 feet of water on structure. One of the best places to
find structure is out along the old river channel. However, for some unknown reason, Alabama Power is jerking water thru here which
makes it almost impossible to fish the old channel edges. One of the best ways to find structure beyond the old channel is to ride
around the banks where there are no homes and look for stumps as big as your arm or bigger.They have obviously been cut off for
structure purposes.The brushpiles will be on the breakline in deep water.Some of the deeper docks are still holding a few fish also. If
you can find some docks in deep water ( 8-10 feet deep) and look what direction the owners chairs are pointed along with their rod
holders and you will find their brush piles. Rocket science right? I hate to say this but at this time of the year you need to be minnow
fishing. When your wife sells jigs for a living that is a terrible thing to say.

BASS: Bass fishing is pretty slow.They are in their wintertime mode of not moving much. You are going to have to put the bait right in
front of them. If you didn't read my crappie report, go back and read it as to where it relates to structure.

WHITE BASS: Bad slow because the shad have gone deep, so you will not be able to see them in the jumps.

STRIPE: Weiss Lake probably has the best stripe population in Alabama.Now after saying that they can also make you pretty dog gone
humble. I am going to give you some places that have traditionally been good places to catch them during this time of the
year.Mouth of Yellow Creek, The point at Sailboat Club (both sides of it), The point on your right as you go into Churchouse, and
there are a lot of other places that are up river but I would not advise you to go up there while the water is down this low unless you
have a lot of experience on that area of the lake. Best bait is still the "Little Fishy". Rat'l Traps will work but there is something about
taking multi treble hooks out of the mouth of a large violently shaking its head fish that takes a brave man to put his hand in there.
One of the easiest ways to find the stripe are the diving sea gulls on the water.That means the stripe have run the shad to the top and
they are picking them off. But there are some days that the gulls just don't want to fly.Other days they move all day. I like to troll for
them a little bit in the areas I mentioned above. I am using my trolling rig that I use for crappie for stripe. I set the lines up with 6 lb.
test line and use different colors of 1/16th oz jigs, a medium action rod and I back the drag off as far as it will go.Most of the time they
won't break the line and I just start tightening the drag up a little bit at a time and bring them to the boat. Anybody can catch a fish
with a broom stick and a plow rope.

BREAM: Bream on Guntersville are still doing quite well but it is getting harder and harder to find bait.You can catch them on a small
jig but they aren't real aggressive and you won't catch many this way. Best bait is wax worms if you can find them. Next best is
crickets.You could probably get them on red wrigglers too. Too messy for me.Something about red wrigglers dirt up under you
fingernails that I don't care for.

CATFISH: If you are a catfish fisherman you already know this is a great time to catch the big un's. Catfish do relate to structure.Some
of the best fishing will be out on the old river channel.Unlike crappie fishing the water pull will not effect you much.

Let's be careful out there. You know the drill. No 1/2 off prop sales.The water is low. If you need some help don't hesitate to holler.
Unlike most of the marina's I am just going to tell it like it is.Hope everybody has a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I can't
wait for spring so I can get back to fishing. For those of you thinking about booking a trip in the spring, the good days are going fast
and you need to be booking ASAP. Not only do the guides get busy but sometimes motel reservations can get skinny.If you get down
here in the spring and you aren't having any luck or the water is muddy or the wind is up, remember that it is the spring of the year.I
know of several places to fish where you can find clear water and you can duck out of the wind. Hope this helps! Thanks, Steve
256-927-6617 www.weisslakeguideservice.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]