Re: tva-wheeler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 04, 2002 at 23:56:41:

In Reply to: tva-wheeler posted by drifter on December 04, 2002 at 23:44:15:

In a word, no, TVA does not stop "pulling" the water as it gets down to winter pool. They still have to generate electricity and provide flood control. Since I follow Wheeler lake's levels religiously, I know that it can fluctuate widely and wildly and given the wide area that is getting rainfall right now, I would predict (even though the page for Wheeler at lakeinfo.tva.org says differently as I write this) that Wheeler will rise quite a bit due to the rain. Wheeler and Pickwick both have a 6 foot draw down from maximum summer to winter pool. Guntersville lake only has a 2 foot draw down.

Although I can understand some of the fluctuations of Wheeler and Pickwick, there are times when it is hard to explain. I often write to TVA during those peroids. The usual response is that the rainfall in areas other than local make it necessary for TVA to hold water in Wheeler and/or Pickwick.

Personally, I like the levels to be low on Wheeler! My theory for why I do better then is that with the lower water levels, the fish tend to have less room to roam and tend to bunch up or stack up in predictable areas.

Oh well, I guess it all depends on how you like to fish and how stubborn you are. I am pretty stubborn! (grin)

You don't know 'til you go and throw!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: