Guntersville crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 03, 2002 at 22:58:37:

I don't know how other folks are doing on crappie in Guntersville, since I haven't seen many messages here or on other message boards lately about good catches, but for Alex and myself it has been and still is very slow!

In the last 2 years I have fished Guntersville with Alex, we were nearly always able to get a double limit on Guntersville nearly every trip from about the middle of October until about the middle of December. Not so this year. I did read one message on another message board that bragged about catching 40 or so "good sized" crappie by shooting docks. I don't doubt that this may be true, but I don't know what areas they were shooting docks and don't know what they consider "good sized" crappie. Too many times I have heard someone say "I have several 1 pound plus crappie in the cooler..." only to actually see the fish and immediately know they didn't have even one fish close to a one pound sized fish.

In any case, shooting docks may still be the best method for catching slabs on Guntersville. If anyone else is having luck with that method, please post. I can't blame you if you don't say where you are fishing, but a positive or negative response might save a lot of time for other folks. (smile)

Alex and I tried Guntersville from daylight until about an hour before sunset and only ended up with about 10 fish. 6 of the ten were pretty decent with 2 best coming in at 1 pound 10 ounces on the digital scale. But it was very hard to find any numbers. We tried Browns creek bridge, Spring creek bridge and Town creek. The only keepers we found were near the main river channel. Not much else to report except that will probably be my last trip to Guntersville for crappie this fall. The quality was good, but the number/time ratio was too much like work! (smile)

You don't know 'til you go and throw! There is no substitute for time on the water.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

P.S.

If you have a digital scale, make sure how it reads. That is, does it read pounds and 10th's of pounds or (more usual) pounds and ounces? Many times folks report weights from a digital scale as 1.3 or 1.7, etc., but they really mean 1 pound 3 ounces or 1 pound 7 ounces. Do the math, it can make a big difference!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]