Re: Crappie discussion opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 27, 2002 at 22:55:16:

In Reply to: Re: Crappie discussion opinions posted by Poorboy on November 27, 2002 at 09:25:19:

I heard a biologist talk about a 7 year boom/bust cycle several years ago at a meeting at the Wheeler NWR Wildlife Center. I think the meeting was sponsored by the DCNR, but with last year's less than informative public statewide meetings, I am not so sure they were the people responsible. Anyway, the biologist, as far as I can remember, suggested that studies (no data presented) showed a possible cycle of 5-7 years with one year being a boom year and several years in between being "bust" or rather, not as big fish being caught. I don't remember the question posed to the biologist and I don't remember the biologist's name, but someone posed a question to him that didn't fit with the boom/bust theory and the guy literally clammed up! His face turned red and he didn't say more than 10 more words before stepping down from the podium. So, I guess I still have huge doubts about the 5-7 year, boom/bust cycle on Wheeler and Guntersville. Given no data was presented then and nothing has been presented since then to support the theory, I think it may have little or no validity. Just my humble opinion and $.02 worth. (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]