Re: Guntersville crappie??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Snapperking on November 27, 2002 at 22:14:21:

In Reply to: Guntersville crappie?? posted by Shad Lips on November 25, 2002 at 16:13:36:

OK i have an opinion/theory and since i have seen it once before in my 42 years of fishing lake Guntersville,including watching the white crappie dissapear and the black crappie take over ,I think we may have lost the larger crappie to gill netting.think about it, the small crappie are so abundant because they can slip through the mesh size but the larger ones are goners.THe few large ones that we are catching are the few that have stayed close to the concrete or been lucky enough to not contact the net.The same thing happened with the sauger in the seventies , for years it was cigars and the occasional mature jack.Course the commercial fishermen contended we rec fishermen were keeping everything (and a few were no doubt)But after A few poaching busts and the size limit installation ,it brought them back ,but we are seeing the small cigar thing again this year after having banner years before .Seems strange it is coinciding with the smaller crappie too.I hope im wrong , but i watched a person put out 8 nets, 2 on each corner of short creek bridge last October of 2001.In total he put out 12 as i was trying to fish.The other 4 nets he distributed across the old short creek channel running out toward the main river channel.Think about it , if they are placing the nets around all the bridges like that last year and probably this year then all thats left is gonna be the ones small enough to slip through.My 2 cents worth and i pray im wrong .

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]