Crappie on Guntersville at Honeycomb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie Garrett on November 19, 2002 at 12:08:05:

What's up with these stupid fish? Water temperature, water levels, meteor showers, or something has them confused. Been trying for several weeks and catching mostly small ones, just like everybody else. I just wanted to offer a tip I discovered last weekend.

Fishing boat docks at Honeycomb last weekend using minnows/float, tubes and bass assasins, slingshotting. Have five over 10 inches in about 3 hours. While up close to one boathouse I could see the crappie under the dock holding in about 2 foot of water, they were everywhere, but wouldn't hit a thing. Water was too clear, I assumed if I can see them, they can see me. Every once in a while one would swim toward the jig or minnow, but literally smell it and turn away. I did manage to catch 8 more over 11" including one about 2lbs, but it took a new method to my madness.

I took my Ultralight with 4lb test and a small black bream hook tipped with a minnow. I flipped it up under the docks and let it roam freely, the fish immediately showed more interest in it. I think they were seeing my previous rigs with the bronze hook, weight, float, or jig body because of the water clarity. After the free radical minnow swam around a few minutes, something would take it. Caught the 8 in about 30 minutes, then had to head home.

I re-learned what I already new, but hadn't taken it to heart. In clear water, these fish are picky, go as natural as possible. Try downsizing the line, weights, hooks, etc. The fish were there, they just had to be teased a little.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]