Guntersville crappie - bridges from the bank

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 15, 2002 at 22:14:31:

Fished the Hwy69/Brownscreek bridge at daylight this morning with almost no luck at all. Only caught a few tiny crappie and hooked one stripe about 1.5 pounds. Didn't see anyone fishing Spring creek bridge on Hwy 227 and didn't stop there. Someone was fishing Polecat creek bridge, but I didn't stop there either.

Short creek was producing the same tiny crappie and I caught a couple of fair, but small bluegills. The only place I saw any decent crappie was at the Town Creek bridge on Hwy 227. There were quite a few folks fishing there, but I don't think I saw a full limit between all of them. Nice folks there and they allowed me to slip in between them and try my luck for a little while. I only caught more of the tiny ones.

I didn't stay long at any of these bridges and stopped for a very short time at the Honeycomb bridges on the way home with similar results. Only tiny crappie.

Current was not present in any appreciable amount at any of the bridges although Guntersville dam is spilling quite a bit of water. The main channel is flowing quite fast, but the creeks don't seem to flow if the lake level isn't dropping fairly fast or a lot of rain falls on their respective watersheds. Lake level was a little over a foot below summer pool, so it was relatively easy to get under and fish the bridges, but the quality fish just weren't there.

Thousands, maybe tens of thousands of cormarants were around the Hwy 69 bridge. We need an open season on these birds before they take over that part of the lake!

Sorry not to have a better tale to tell.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]