Antique baitcasting tackle update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on November 15, 2002 at 20:07:33:

I posted around a month ago about finding my grandfathers old Pflueger baitcaster with a true temper steel rod. Here is the answer I got from Basmaster Magazine:

In response to your question to BASSMASTER's "What's it Worth" column, Karl White, our antiques expert, answered thusly: "The Akron was a staple on the Pflueger line. The oldest would have a clear celluloid grip, circa 1930. The plastic marbled handle would be late 1940s to 1968. The Speedlock handle has patent no. 1938, but lasted until the 1960s. If rod is metal, 1938 to 1950. If fiberglass, 1950 to 1970. The value for the reel is from $15 to $20 -- made from 1940 to 1968; value for the rod is about $20, made of oxford steel."

Based on this answer my grandfathers outfit was bought in the late 1940's up to 1950 and is worth about $40.00 --- but it is priceless to me. It'll look great hanging on the wall with some of his other fishing stuff. He's responsible for the fishing bug biting me back in the 60's while fishing on the Elk River. I seriously doubt if I will ever get over that bug bite either!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]