Re: Thanks Kerry..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 09, 2002 at 08:33:54:

In Reply to: Thanks Kerry.. posted by Jim on November 08, 2002 at 08:54:37:

Sounds like your lake may be somewhat similar to Smith, especially if it has REALLY deep water. Smith has some water near 300 feet and 100+ foot water isn't hard to find in many areas. The spot you mentioned where you catch a few (wood on drop-off, near deep water) sounds good. If you could find more areas like that you would probably up your take.

As for the summer crappie, well, I have never figured them out during the summer. I know they generally go to deeper water where it is cooler, but I simply haven't had any luck. Also, I can't stand the heat, so I rarely fish during the hot months anymore. Around here in the winter, I find the crappie in many of the same places where I find them in the spring and fall, but usually a little deeper. No matter what time of year you go after them good electronics is important. I only have a cheap portable Eagle Fish I.D. 128, but I trust it and it has put me on fish many times. It has also indicated that I should have stayed home long before I finally do give up and go home. (grin)

I guess the main thing to look for when trying to locate crappie is structure. In the spring, during the pre-spawn and spawn pattern I find them in large numbers around shallow mud and stump flats, but other than that, the majority of the time I find them in, on, around structure. If your lake doesn't have much in the way of structure, then you may have to create some yourself. A good place to start is Alex's article: Fall Crappie - Structure and Feeder Building

Some of the techniques we use on the Tennessee river and tributaries depend a LOT on current being present. In a lake where there is no or little current, structure becomes all important if you want to find them "stacked up".

I hope this helps.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

P.S.

Don't forget to try night fishing around lighted docks and piers. Some of my best crappie fishing was done at night under some of the bridges in my area from the bank. But, I have always heard that the folks who catch more crappie on Smith lake (more similar to your lake) are catching them under lights at night.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]