Re: Lewis Smith lake trip

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BenThereToo on November 07, 2002 at 21:58:51:

In Reply to: Re: Lewis Smith lake trip posted by Kerry Grissett on November 07, 2002 at 00:18:25:

Kerry, I bought a small place on the lower end of Ryan Creek on Smith Lake about 10 years ago. It has taken me that long to even get an idea of how to bass fish that lake. I used to be a diehard crappie fisherman on the Coosa River. I have crappie fished a few times on Smith Lake but I have NEVER caught a crappie less than 12' deep, even in the middle of April. I only use 1/16 oz. white jigs with a RED eye. It is very hard to find this combination so I usually buy jigs with a black eye and paint it red with finger nail polish. Look for tree tops in the water that would be at least 12 to 25' deep. Cast toward the trunk of the tree and let it fall down the trunk of the tree. I have found one boat house with a lot of brush around it where I have caught crappie. I have never caught crappie on Smith Lake like I have on the Coosa River.

Even with owning the place on Smith, I very seldom fish there any more. A good friend of mine keeps his boat at home here in Birmingham so we fish almost every time on Lay Lake. If the river gets up or very muddy, we then may go to my place and fish Smith but things have really got to be bad not to fish Lay. We had the best winter last year for catching bass that I have ever had in my life. We found bass stacked up in the mouth of some small sloughs and creeks on the middle part of the lake. On three different trips, we caught over 40 bass and left the lake and was having lunch by 12:30 at the latest.

Well, good luck on the "Dead Sea" if you should decide to go back. From what I hear about the Tennessee River, you would be wasting you time going back to Smith. Smith is a beautiful lake and a great lake for swimming and skiing but the fishing is very tough.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]