One more thing about crappie fishing...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 07, 2002 at 21:34:24:

In Reply to: painted or unpainted heads posted by Kerry Grissett on November 07, 2002 at 21:16:01:

The absolute hardest part of catching crappie is finding them. I would say that this is probably 95% of the "trick" to catching them. Once you locate them, catching them is relatively simple in most cases, especially if you can find them "stacked up" and active. There are times when the crappie are there, but not active. I used to not believe this and always thought that if they were not hitting they weren't there. However the fact that crappie can be there in large number and simply not hit was illustrated to me at a friend's pond.

The pond is relatively small, less than a quarter of an acre would be my guess. We stocked it with over 200 crappie that we caught over a period of time ranging from 1/2 pound to about 1.5 pounds. So, we knew the fish were in the pond and in large numbers for the size of the pond. There were days when you could throw just about anything and catch one nearly every cast, but there were days when they would not hit anything. We never did pinpoint any particular factors (including solunar tables) that would explain this activity or lack of activity 100% of the time. Weather and time of day seemed to be the main factors, but that wasn't a fool-proof method of determing whether or not they would hit either.

So, the best advice on when to fish for them is still, every chance you get! The odds have to be in your favor sooner or later. (smile)

There is no substitute for time on the water!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]