painted or unpainted heads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 07, 2002 at 21:16:01:

In Reply to: Re: Bass assasins,#1350 hook,Fire Line posted by Kerry Grissett on November 07, 2002 at 21:02:33:

I used to swear by painted heads, but since I have been pouring my own jigs I have been using more and more unpainted heads. Especially when using natural or neutral colors, I have had excellent luck with the unpainted heads. Of course, there can be times when the crappie are simply being finicky and a painted head may make the difference.

There are no hard and fast rules. The examples of techniques I listed and many other techniques all work at one time or another. The trick is not to get stuck on one technique or color. I used to swear by a red/chartreuse combination tube jig and really felt that if the crappie didn't hit that then they weren't hitting. Thankfully, I have learned that this is not necessarily the case and lately that color combo hasn't produced nearly as many fish for me as it once did.

What I am trying to say is don't be afraid to experiment and let the fish tell you what and how to catch them. I have been throwing tightline in deep water and noticed that the hit was almost always coming before the jig got down more than 3 or 4 feet. So, I switched to a jig under a cork and started catching them every cast. I might have continued catching them tightline, but I think I did better by keeping the jig in the hit range by putting it under a cork. Oh well, I do ramble on... (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]