Lewis Smith lake trip

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 06, 2002 at 20:06:06:

Made my 3rd trip ever to Smith lake in a boat today with a good friend. We put in at Smith Lake park just after daylight and headed toward Goat Island. We were after crappie, btw. I did manage one tiny crappie in about 25 feet of water and a couple of tiny spotted bass before we decided to check out some other places.

Until this time the wind wasn't bad, but it got rough after that and the fishing never picked up. We managed a few more tiny spotted bass and each ended up with a total of 2 tiny crappie apiece. Neither one of us really knows what we are doing on Smith, but from now until someone can actually show me where and how to catch crappie down there, Smith is the "Dead Sea" for me.

Nothing in the areas we searched ever jumped out at me as a "prime" spot. I am sure we were not in the right places at the right times and maybe not in the right places at all for this time of year and the water level on Smith. It looked to me like it was down somewhere between 8 and 10 feet from full pool, but that is just a guess. We left about 1 or 2pm. Talked to the only other boat that was taking out as we were leaving and they said they only had one small bass. By comparison we did well, right? Naaa!

This is a lake that will make you humble very quickly if you don't know where to go to find structure, etc! (smile)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]