Decatur area crappie hit picking up

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 05, 2002 at 16:12:48:

Finally, a little better news on the crappie hit. I have been trying around the Decatur area from the bank nearly every day lately and have been having a little better success than a couple of weeks ago.

The crappie are still on the small side, but bigger than they have been on average. Most are running about 1/2 pound with a few coming in at about 3/4 pounds. I am, as usual, fishing 16th jigs with Bass Assassin's and Creme crawdad lures under a cork and tightline depending on circumstances. The best color, so far, has been Arkansas shiner, but I have caught them on everything I have tried including limetreuse, chatreuse/glitter, crystal shad, etc.

The places I have been fishing are:

Hwy31 causeway and causeway bridge (north of Decatur)
Hwy67 causeway and bridges (east of Decatur)
Cave Springs (off county road 40)
Jay's landing (now Pirate's Chest Marina, $2 to fish)
Boat ramp at Hwy 20 sewage plant (Decatur)
Dry creek on Hwy 20 near sewage plant (Decatur)
Spring creek (near Courtland paper mill)
Day Park (the pumps, north of Decatur)

So, there it is! Now you know nearly all the spots where I have been fishing and catching a few. Also, if you saw last wednesday's Decatur daily you would have seen a picture (page B1) of me and a friend fishing from his boat on Flint creek. We didn't have much luck that day, but maybe you can figure out where I was fishing from the picture? (grin)

I haven't tried this, yet, but my gut is telling me that it is time to do some night fishing for crappie. I can't be sure, but I would think they are hitting better in some spots at night than during the day. Just a thought...

Well, that's it for now. I hope this info is helpful.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

P.S.

Can't say if the Guntersville hit has picked up or not. Haven't been back since my last trips with Alex. He posted a message about them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]