G'ville dam tailrace

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 28, 2002 at 09:54:20:

Fished for the first time since spring on Saturday. Fished Saturday morning while TVA generated for about 3-4 hours starting around daylight. Could not buy a bite. Drifted sassy shad for stripers, fished current break with topwater and large jerkbatis, and never had a bite other than a few skipjacks which also seemed to be in limited quantities compared to normal. Went downriver around painted bluff fishing a small jig while fishing buddy tried his hand for black bass cranking, worming, and spinnerbaiting - again nothing! TVA finally put us out of our misery when they pulled the plug at 10 am. I saw one guy catch a salt that appeared to be around 5 pounds and it looked like he was using a jerk bait. One guy told me that they have been catching salts on a big white jerk bait with a red head (Cooley's grocery is where he showed me the bait).

Reports I got from Tony and others at Cooley's Grocery are as follows: The sauger have not moved up yet and little to no reports of catches. The hybrids have not been around much, but some decent salts are being caught. One guy said he caught 3 small salts and a ten pounder early on Monday, and then caught a 10 and 15 pounder within fifteen minutes just at sunset on Wednesday. He was using large sassy shad on the wall. No crawleys and very few shad around. One guy said the fishing is slow because the bait fish must be up in the creeks. Tony said that the salts have mostly been busting topwater early in the morning and that if they were there, I should be able to see them. Unfortunately, it was very quiet on Saturday.

The crappie reports were about the same as have been posted on this board with small crappie being reported at Warrenton (Hwy 69 bridge) and none at some of the other bridges I inquired about. I hope the upcoming break in weather will break the slow action.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]