Crappie fishing @ Weiss

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by oshi9 on October 28, 2002 at 09:46:05:

Fished saturday and sunday with my Grandfather on Weiss Lake. Caught some good keepers on Saturday fishing below the big bridge in CedarBluff. I wanted to get down to Bay Springs and fish, but did not get too. We had 6 keepers on Saturday fishing 16 to 20 foot deep around deep water structure. Again we caught several smaller ones. Now for the good part or not good part..... stripes are killing me on Weiss, I caught 3 large ones. One at 24, 29 and the biggest going 38 inches... now you will not beleive me but he was caught on an 1/16 ounce jig and 6 pound test line!!! My drag was screaming and my grandfather was trying to run him down in the boat with the trolling motor and I was trying to keep my line out of the trolling motor! The ONLY way I landed him was because he ran out to the river and could not get me wrapped up in anything! Two more destroyed me weeder on my jigs and 1 more straightned my hook out, Ah, the joys of fishin with undersized tackle. I think that it is ironic that whenever I find crappie, it will not be long before the striper comes in to leave his mark and destroy everything. They are fun to catch if you have the right tackle, but very frustrating if you do not, oh well I will not complain, but I guess I am hungry for crappie like everyone else. I will be fishing at guntersville again with my Grandfather on Saturday for crappie and sauger. Let's hope a bowfin, stripe will give me a day off! I am beggin for mercy from those massive predators. All fish were caught on white jigs on the old river bank about 6 to 20 foot deep. Depth does not seem to matter much!

P.S. The dnr stopped me on saturday and climbed into my boat and checked all our fish to make sure they were 10 inches. I am glad to see them doing this!

take care and good fishin.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]