Guntersville crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on October 28, 2002 at 06:55:44:

Well, the wife and I went over to honeycomb yesturday to visit some friends that are building a house or should I say MANSION! After visiting awhile my wife and I decided to go down to his boat house and try for come crappie. We fished all around the boathouse with no luck and then went inside. To my surprise, there were lots of crappie inside the boathouse. At each wooden pillar, there would be 3 to 4 crappie suspending about a foot under the water by each pillar. These by far were some of the biggest crappie I have seen in awhile. Looking down on top of them one would have thought they were bass because of how thick they were. As my wife and I would move slowly around to get a better angle on them, there was now doubt that they were crappie. You could see the black spots and the overall profile of the fish. Anyway, we tried everything. Cork and jigs, tight lining, different colors but with no success. These crappie were deffinately not in the eating mood. The only thing I can think of is they wanted minnows (a bait Kerry has tought me not to use! smile!!!) Anyway we gave up after about and hour and went into Guntersville to get something to eat. On the way back, the wife suggested stopping at one of the bridges in honeycomb and try! Well we did and I thank her for that! We caught lots of crappie. We caught alot of those 4 inchers but at about dark I set the hook and it felt heavy. At the same time my wife starts laughing and said she has one too! Both crappie were slabs. Mine about 1.5 pounds and hers was 2 lbs+. We both through out again and doubles! Two more times and that was it! So we ended the day with 6 NICE keepers. My wife had a wonderful time but she kicked my Rearend. Kerry and I are going after them sometime this week in the boat. I will post with the results. We definately are going to the boathouses if my other areas dont pay off. This will be a all dayer! Good luck and please wear those life jackets!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]