good ol' Zebco 33

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ryno on October 28, 2002 at 05:54:40:

I went to G'ville Dam yesterday morning with the hopes of having a pretty good day. I ended up in Wal-Mart looking for a new reel 30 minutes later. I knew I was forgetting something from my last fishing trip down in Orange Beach. I forgot to go through, replace the line, and wash off the internal parts of the reel when I was done. Luckily it was only a $15 reel that I specifically bought for a one-time trip to the beach.

I have no idea why I took it to the dam this particular morning. I guess, well it worked for me so good down at the beach, I thought that just maybe, it would still be a good little set up (Zebco 33 on a medium weight Glow Tip by Zebco) up here. On the very first cast, fishing for shad to cut up as catfish bait, the reel locked up on me. Kind of embarrassing to have the lure come back at you so I attempted to play it off like I meant to do that. I took the reel apart just to find out that everything seemed to be...well, corroded. But still, being the mighty angler I am, I wasn't going to let a little rust and SAND keep me down.

I took the whole reel off the pole and contemplated using it for a weight. Na, just a little too messy. So I took what was left of the...uh, green corroded string and wrapped it and the reel up in a tight little ball and played basketball with it and a nearby garbage can. All I had left was a pole and a Big Game fishing set up with no bait.

Morel of the story: Take care of your stuff! And save the trip to the local fishing supply shop.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]