Fishing with Stephen

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 26, 2002 at 23:33:21:

Today I took my son Stephen out in the boat on Flint creek. Since he is not really interested in fishing that much (yet) I really wish it had been a better day for crappie fishing!

TVA didn't draw any water all day so there was zero current on the creek and it was backing up a little the whole time we were there. We put in at about 10am and stayed until around 1pm. I managed a few skinny little white crappie and one keeper that got off right at the surface. It was maybe 1/2 to 3/4 pounds, approximately. Stephen managed one small bluegill. There were 17 trucks with trailers at the Hwy 31 ramp. We talked to many of them and nobody seemed to be doing much better than we did.

Although we didn't have much luck fishing, it was really nice for me to be out on the water with my son. We did see one banded watersnake (non-poisonous) and one medium sized cotton mouth. I stopped next to the cotton mouth and lifted it with a 6.5 foot fishing rod so my son could get a good look at it for identification. The viper didn't seem to mind it too much and swam away slowly when I released him after about 15 seconds. Probably a little sluggish due to moderately cooler temps.

Although we didn't catch any keeper crappie today, we plan on cooking crappie filets tomorrow! The filets are from last season and are thawing out as I write this message. (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]