Re: wheeler lake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on October 25, 2002 at 07:11:09:

In Reply to: wheeler lake posted by c dorning on October 24, 2002 at 15:45:31:

C Dorningn this time of the year most of the fish are feeding on threadfin shad. Basshead gave a good area to fish. In this area if current is present the fish should be there. It has been my experience that if the current is not at the bridge then you might have a tuff time because the fish will be more spread out. Another place in anderson that is great right now is as you are coming into Anderson, there are some small bluffs on your right. If you follow these bluffs you will find a slue. Fish the points of this slew with a #5 RS shad rap in the brown crawdad color. Fish this lure on 8 lb line and retie often! Once you fish this slue keep going up the bluffs until you get to the first boat house. from this boathouse back towards the mouth about 150 yards, there is a shelf that has good fish on it right now. Especially if there is wind blowing in on that bank. Again fish the same shad rap here. Position the boat about 20 ft off the bluff and throw parallel to the bank. Burn the bait fast! In this same area and the same boat house, go past it and fish in behind it about 50ft past it. There is a spring in this location and for some reason the fish here like small finesse worms. Try brown trout and redbug here on 10lb line with a 3/16 oz bullet weight. Now if there is a south wind ignore these areas and go up past the elk river and fish Coxy creek. Note: Coxy is off the main river chanel heading towards Decatur. Coxy will be on your left as you are heading up river. Look on map to locate. What you want to do here is start at the mouth of coxy and fish the boat houses all the way down to the very last one. The shoreline after the last boathouse is good also until you get to the small cut. This area is about 1/4 mile long. The technique you want to use here is crankbaiting. The only baits I use here is a #5 RS shadrap in the crawdad color and a deep baby N in the lavender shad color. This bait is manufactured by Bill Norman. Use 8 lb line here also and retie after every fish. The trick here is to concentrate on the boat houses and place your bait in the corners behind the boathouse right up on the bank. There is one area you need to be careful though. About midway down the owners of a boat house have used a chainlink fence to keep their rip rap from aroding. This fence looks like it stops at the water line but it doesnt. You will hang alot here. To find Coxy look for the concrete seawall on the down river side. This seawall is about 4 ft tall and almost goes all the way down to the first boathouse. Now if there is not a south wind stay in anderson. Coxy is hard to fish in the wind. You have to stay on the trolling motor constanly but trust me, it is well worth the efort. I have won 2 tournament there this year already. hope you have good luck and if the fish are at coxy, 25 pounds in 2 two days is very possilbe! Keep in mind that the south is the main key for success here. By the way, you will catch smallmouth here! Good luck and be careful. If you need anything else let me know!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]