Re: Sauger Time is Here!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by smalliefisher on October 24, 2002 at 21:07:41:

In Reply to: Re: Sauger Time is Here! posted by Jackie on October 24, 2002 at 18:11:40:

I fished between #3 and #4. About 50 yds. away from the dam there is a hump. They are usually on the side of that hump closest to the dam. I use a three-way rig. I use a med-heavy 5'6" spinning rod with 20lb. fireline. I connect a three way swivel to one end I put a 12lb. p-line leader and a bass casting sinker of the appropriate weight. Somewhere between 1/2 and 2oz depending on how much current. On the other side I tie a piece of 8lb. Flouroclear and a circle hook. The weight leader is about 2-3 ft. the hook leader about a foot. Then I fish a tuffy on it. I also fish a 3/4 oz hair jig with a red head and green skirt tipped with a minnow. I also have had some luck in the past with a pumkin sassy shad with a chart. tail. I think the most important thing is that I have found the wonders of Fireline. I don't lose near as many jigs and I can feal everthing. Some people think it is visible to the fish, but I think I feal so many more light bites that it more than makes up for the ones that don't bite because of the line. If you are catching smallmouth, you are too far away from the dam for Sauger. Most of the time we tie up to the dam or are no more than 100 yds away. We also catch them where the water is blown out of the hole. You can normally just go over there and join the crowd. Hope this helps, smalliefisher

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]