Re: Crappie fishing on Paint Rock

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by oshi on October 22, 2002 at 11:03:25:

In Reply to: Re: Crappie fishing on Paint Rock posted by Bob D on October 22, 2002 at 09:08:10:

In current I fish a 1/8th ounce white deerhair jig with a number 4 hook. Those work well. I do not use bobbers because I hand tie a weeder out of nylon rope. Wal-mart carries some pretty good jigs with maribou that work well, be sure you rig up a weeder of some kind. Stranded nylon rope works well if you know how to tie any jigs. It is not to hard, with a little practice you can do it. The cover I was fishing had moss and they were not to fresh but low to the river bank, if I make any sense. I have not been able to spot them before until they started to drop the water on Weiss. I have fished Riverside enough to know that you have to find the fish on the bank. There are a ton of blowdowns, but look for small inch to 3/4 inch treetops, limbs, etc... and there are generally fish in those this time of year. A 1/8 ounce jig is a little to heavy to fish, the fish I managed yesterday were caught on a 1/32 ounce jig head with white deerhair. I do not like to fish a jig that light, because I like to fish where I can feel but, I could not buy a hit on those heavier ones yesterday! I have an opinion on crappie liking the fresh blowdowns better than the old... just my opinion but it makes sense because there is more cover. I fish tight to the cover and try to hold my boat upstream and let my jig drift over the cover. You really have to rely on your line movement to catch crappie this way. I have found that to be the best strategy to date. My grandfather taught me this and I owe a lot of my fishing techniques to him. He has showed me how to tie jig, fish cover, etc.. 2 quality fish is not to good for the crappie capital of the world but it was not to bad. I hope the 2 men from Kentucky ejoyed them. I did not want to fool with cleaning just 2 fish, but I could have cleaned more had it not been for my darn weeder being to thick! I am still bothered by that! I hope this helps you some and remember to measure! 10 inch limit!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]