Fishing predictions for this weekend

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 17, 2002 at 22:13:28:

With water levels higher than normal on Wheeler and Guntersville lakes (based on the TVA operating guide currently available on this site) and the TVA prediction of much lower than normal current flow (see http://lakeinfo.tva.gov and the TVA operating guides available on this site) for this time of year (especially friday, tomorrow)) AND higher than average surface water temps for this time of year... well, my guess is that a lot of you get my message. Crappie fishing, at least for friday, October 18 and probably for the whole weekend on Wheeler and Guntersville will be dismal or at least NOT very good for quality fish.

Yes, you will probably be able to catch many undersized, skinny crappie and some bream, catfish and other species, but don't go if you are expecting to catch a limit of crappie. Of course, there may be some folks who know a lot more than I, who may be able go out there and tear them up! But those folks don't tell me anything about how they are doing it. Most of the reports or hearsay I have received about folks "tearing them up", as concerns crappie, can NOT be confirmed by me as to size or quantity of fish. Not to mention the general area they are fishing. I suspect their definition of "tearing them up" is much less strict than mine. (grin)

I am not trying to keep people off the water this weekend. I am just trying to relate my experience to you and my prediction of how good or bad the hit will be for crappie this weekend. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 2 or 3 for friday. No rating for this weekend as conditions are likely to change by tomorrow afternoon. This is the latest start I have EVER seen for quality fall crappie.

I watch the water levels, predictions, current flow/generation schedules, temperatures, etc. religiously and it just doesn't look good, at least for friday.

I really hope someone will prove me wrong, but you won't see me back out in a boat for several days, although I will be on the bank somewhere everyday, at least for a little while. (smile)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]