Re: How do you figure HP. rating?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 15, 2002 at 23:04:51:

In Reply to: How do you figure HP. rating? posted by Rodney on October 15, 2002 at 21:45:59:

That is a good question. Since you posted your message I have been trying to locate the answer on the web, with no luck at all. The Alabama Boat safety law says that a person is in violation of Alabama boat safety law by "Operating a vessel after April 28, 1999 which violates federal laws regulating the horsepower of the engine of the vessel." But, they don't seem to have any link to information about what the federal law actually is. I know there is some sort of formula for figuring out what the hp rating of a given boat hull is, but I can't seem to find it.

My best advice is to start looking at federal sites pertaining to laws and regulations. Sorry, but I don't have a specific site for you to start at other than google.com or some other search engine. One other possible source for the answer would be Capt. Bob Huffacker of the Alabama Marine Police. His email is: Bob Huffaker Since they have to enforce the law, they should know how to figure hp ratings for boats that don't have a manufacturer's rating.

Please post a message here if and when you find out anything useful. My boat is rated for 20hp, but I couldn't find a new 4 stroke with 20hp, so I compromised for a 15 and have not totally regretted it, but I wish it was a 25hp! (smile)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]