Wheeler and Guntersville crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 13, 2002 at 22:22:47:

I have been getting reports that crappie on Wheeler are biting, but no limits of keepers are being caught. Lots of under-sized fish and only a few decent keepers. Now that the cooler weather "seems" to be here to stay, maybe the surface temps will get right for this time of year and TVA will start pulling the water consistent with what I am used to for this time of year. Still crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath, not yet. TVA's prediction for tomorrow is that Wheeler will rise 8 tenths of a foot by midnight, but TVA's predictions are notoriously wrong on Wheeler. With the cooler weather tonight and the rest of the week, who knows what the levels might be on Wheeler by tomorrow night at midnight?

Guntersville is still holding water within about a half a foot of summer pool and that definitely seems to have a negative effect on the hit. At least it has a negative effect on the hit where I am used to getting it this time of year. TVA predicts that it will stay near this level through tomorrow, but they will be pulling water starting at 5am (one turbine) until after dark. Check the link below for the total picture on TVA's dam release schedules, etc.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

P.S.

A friend reported that the few good sized (1.25 - 1.5 pound) crappie he has been catching have been on the Creme crawdad fished 5 feet deep in about 7 feet of water. That is my first report that this lure is working in the fall. I have had a LOT of luck with it in the spring. Check Decatur Bait and Tackle for them. If Mr. Crow is out of them, make it a point to ask about them! I hope that he will order them in higher bulk to get a better price. If the demand is high enough, I know he will. Currently, you can get a pack of 4 crawdads/1 jighead for $1.49. If demand is great enough, he may be able to order them in large enough quantity to lower the price. I know, this sounds like an advertisement, but I am serious about not being able to find them for a long time and also serious about catching lots of crappie on them! I make nothing by saying this. I just want to make sure that I can find them when I need them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]