Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 09, 2002 at 20:19:49:

Tried Guntersville with a couple of good friends tuesday. We put in just before daylight. The main channel of the river was backing up instead of flowing downstream which is always a bad sign for us. We did manage about 9 or 10 keeper crappie and 2 willow catfish (that's what one of my friends call them). All were caught on bass assassins in crystal shad, arkansas shiner or opening night.

We tried a couple of bridges later in the day including Browns creek and Polecat creek with little luck. The bream were there, but not many big ones.

Today I tried from the bank around Decatur in shallow water and did better. I managed about 30 or 40 crappie, but only about 10 to 15 would have kept. No slabs. Biggest one was about 3/4+ pounds. All of these were caught on bass assassin on 16th oz jig under a cork from 12 inches to 3 feet deep. Colors were electric chicken and crystal shad. I also tried under the Hwy 31 causeway bridge with no luck at all there. There are a LOT of tournament anglers out on Wheeler, so I probaby won't be out in my boat around here until next week.

Last spring I talked about a small crawdad or shrimp like lure made by Creme which worked great for me on spring crappie. I was having trouble finding them, but now Decatur Bait and Tackle is carrying them. Thanks Mr. Crow! I am going to give them a try this fall and winter and let you know if they work as well for me as they have in the spring.

Here's to colder weather!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: