Bass under O'neal bridge in Florence

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 05, 2002 at 22:53:06:

Stephen and I visited my folks in Florence today. My mother is home and doing well in her recovery, but I am afraid she is pushing herself too hard. Of course, that's just how she is. She just couldn't keep from making an extremely excellent lunch for us.

I tried my luck under O'neal bridge (McFarland) on the way home.

Just as they have been doing for over a month, the LMB's and maybe some spots, are present and busting small shad whenever the turbines are running at Wilson! But, I can't seem to figure out anything that they will hit consistently. If I could have tried some live shad I might have had more luck, but I no longer have a cast net and none were schooling there to catch from the bank.

I did manage to catch 2 small ones using a lure similar to a sassy shad thrown directly in the swirls left by the bass as a group chased and cornered a small (1.5 inch) shad on the surface. I tried almost everything in my bag including topwater, small rattle trap, various crank baits, small jigs, etc. Nothing really interested them but the small shad they have been chasing for at least over a month.

If anyone wants to try for them make sure Wilson dam is generating current first. Next, look for them either directly under the O'neal bridge on the north end, near the piling or where ever the shade from the bridge falls. Next... Good luck!!!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]