Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 10-4-2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on October 04, 2002 at 18:58:02:

DATE: 10-04-2002
LAKE LEVEL: 562.2
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: AM - high 70's to Low 80's (ideal)
WATER CLARITY: Good to fair but all fishable

I'M BACK! I appreciate all the emails and the encouragement from everyone out there! Major back surgery and quadruple heart
surgery all in a 3 month period just about killed me.
Now on to the important stuff---

CRAPPIE: Catching has been great. But, crappie keeping has not been as good. A hard days fishing will net you about 20 keepers
and about 100 short fish. So many that I recommend taking the barb off your hook.You do not really need one on there, as long as
you keep a tight line you got him. Spring ought to be hot as a 3 dollar pistol.

BASS: This has been the best fall bass fishing that I have seen on any lake. The bass are schooling up and chasing shad. A lot of
bass held up on most every point. Shallow diving crank baits, rat'l traps and Carolina rig lizards but you are going to catch a lot
more on crank baits and rat'l traps.

STRIPE: Stripe are schooled, and there have been some good reports coming out of the mouth of Cowan and Spring Creeks. But
you have to be there at the right time to catch them in the jumps. Some of the deeper coves also holding. Keep your eyes open.
The birds aren't here yet but the will be shortly. That makes stripe fishing a whole lot easier.

BREAM: Guntersville is wide open. Big red-breast's and a few shell-crackers thrown in.If you like this type of fishing it is not going to
get any better. Good for taking the babies.

CATFISH: Catfish are biting strong about anywhere you want to wet a line in the lake. They too are feeding up for the winter time.
Some real monsters being taken around fish cleaning stations now that people are back to cleaning fish.

65 boat Bass Tournament last weekend results:
1st place - 14.30
2nd place - 13.82
3rd place - 11.33
4th place - 11.03
Keep in mind this was a 5 fish limit tournament.
Big fish was 4.88.

Lets talk about the lake level. Alabama Power has already jerked her down 2 foot low. You need to be real careful. If you watch
your depth finder and the channel markers you will be fine. From Yancy's Bend up you need to know what you are doing and where
you are going. Some of the coves up there are "ticky" to get in, but if you take it easy you can get in. Cedar Bluff bridge down not
nearly as critical.Be careful, we do not need a 1/2 off prop sale.

Our old message board provider went belly up but we now have a new one up and running. It is a great place to ask questions and
share general information with more than one person. As always if I can be of any help, I will be glad to. Sincerely, Steve
256-927-6617 www.weisslakeguideservice.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]